Thursday, October 30, 2008

Birds and Flowers


Like lots of people right now we are tightening our belt. I find myself at times consumed with worry about the future. I keep sending out resumes to help ease the pressure, but to no avail. I struggle with is this God telling me I don't need to worry or is it a sign of my unemployableness :)? I shared this thought with someone last week.....I sometimes feel that my worry stops the hand of God as it extends to provide and bless. Could thankfulness and gratitude open the gate of gracious giving?

Today I read very carefully Matthew 6:25-31. Can that be true? Is that really what I'm suppose to do? Would God actually just give me everything I need if I only, single heartedly seek the kingdom? Oh, I know what everyone would say. They would all give the good Sunday School answer, "Of course". But none of us live like that. Do you? I don't know anyone who does. We have to work hard and be diligent. We earn what we have. Oh, we say that God gave it to us but we believe it's because we went to work 8 hours a day.

I'm not looking to be lazy. I don't mind working. I am just tired of worry. Worry so robs my joy. It's like if we don't worry we aren't carrying our fair load.

I so want to simply love God and people. What is the hourly wage for that?


Bonus: I love this quote

"So I saw Him and sought Him; and I had Him and wanted Him. And it seems to me that this is how it is and how it should be in this life" - St Julian of Norwich, 1373

2 comments:

Kim Becker said...

Here in Fresno Starbucks pays $10 an hour. I bet they pay even better up there. :) It is a great place to love on people, though.

"It's like if we don't worry we aren't carrying our fair load."
That is so so true. But God did not ask us to worry. Quite the opposite in fact. Of course you know that. And I know that. So why do we still feel compelled to worry?
Here's what I do:
Close your eyes and take a moment to find your breath. God has breathed that breath into you, therefore He is there with you, right now, in this moment. Let the worry go out of you as you exhale. Let him take it away in the wind, far from you, and let him fill you with his peace as you inhale. In with his peace, out with your worry...
(Repeat as necessary throughout the day.)

catd said...

I love you. Thanks for your encouragement. Your words are wisdom.