Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weighty Words

Something was said to me this week. I think it has impacted me more than anything else over the last 7 years. I met with my spiritual director last Wednesday. She is a Sister of Mercy. I love this woman. She is a professor at SU and any of her students that I have ever met feel the same. I am privileged to have her be my director. She is teaching me compassion toward the homeless in a way I can accept and act.
But, that's not what this is about. I just want to be clear as to what kind of person she is and how she measures words before using them. Everything that comes out of her mouth is valuable. We were catching up after not seeing each other over the summer. She asked how our trip to Fresno was. Of course I told her about Mary but then went on to tell what a surprise the trip was in regards to discerning our future and that future being in Fresno. I described our desire to plant a church, to open an urban retreat center in our home and to start a spiritual direction practice. I also went on to say how I felt in my own heart that I was to be involved with migrant laborers in some way that would make their lives better. She got very quiet and then tears gently streamed down her face. She went on to say she was very familiar with this phrase, had heard it used but had herself never used it. She said, "I feel like I am on holy ground." At that point my tears joined hers. It was like setting our destiny in stone. God was in the room and his tears and joy joined ours. Because of who she is in God these few words carried much weight for me.
I am in awe. It's been a long time since I felt the purpose of God. I feel very humbled and at the same time excited. I had to take time to put this is writing, to have something to hold on to in regards to our future and our purpose.
Wow!

4 comments:

Kim Becker said...

That's awesome. I love how God works. Isn't He amazing? I live for those moments of being on holy ground. I mean, I think I'm there sometimes, but I am only aware of it rarely. But when I am able to be aware of it at the same time as someone else next to me it's just overwhelmingly awe inspiring. All of a sudden I am scared to move or speak because I might lose my awareness of the holy. I just try to revel in the moment.
I need that again.
I'm so happy for you.
Peace to you.

Rhonda said...

If that is not affirmation for what God is doing in your life then I don't know what is! That is so wonderful and what a blessing.

I did not know you were coming back. I grew up on Whidbey Island and miss that area so terribly much. But having children {little and grown}here myelf I can just imagine your desire to come back. And a new grandbaby...now just try to keep you away, eh?

I look forward to watching what God is unfolding in your lives and the plans you have here.

catd said...

Thanks, Rhonda. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

catd said...

More to Rhonda. We love to take the ferry to Whidbey and drive. Each of the little villages has something to offer. We sort of eat our way across the island and hit all the bookstores. Those are the things we will miss. However, the gray and cold are just not for us.