Monday, December 15, 2008

Making My Oblation

Another new adventure. Still thinking about what this will mean in my spiritual formation. Over the last 3 or so years I have been drawn to a more contemplative lifestyle. This doesn't mean I leave "the world". In September's visit with my spiritual director I asked her to teach me to pray. She responded first by saying she believed I knew how to pray. I went on to ask her to teach me about praying in a way I wasn't familiar with. How could I grow in my prayer?

Within a couple of weeks I had discovered St. Brigid's of Kildare Monastery. This is the only place I have found that allows one to follow a way of prayer and yet not live in a monastery. It was an answer to my request to learn to pray in a new way. On Sunday I took my oblation vows that now leads me into a year of discernment.

Ok, I don't know what all this will look like. There is one other reason this draws me. With moving this year I want something consistent in my spiritual life. When life changes come, it is easy to get distracted. With all I have experienced and learned over the last 5 years I do not want to loose the forward momentum of spiritual growth and change. Learning to live by St. Benedict's Rule will give me that stability and consistency.
It all feels a bit strange but so has many other things during this journey. I'm willing to walk it out and see where it leads me. It has been part of my Advent this year. Waiting. Watching for who is to come.

1 comment:

John said...

Congratulations. Your story sounds like mine and others — wanting a more contemplative lifestyle, finding a monastery, being drawn to the ancient monastic practices of prayer, stability and consistency. The oblate life has a very long history.