Sunday, December 7, 2008

Jesus in Plain Sight


The Gospel reading for the second Sunday of Advent is Mark 1:1-8

...Prepare the way of the Lord

Make his paths straight.


This of course comes from Isaiah 40

.....Make a highway for the LORD through the wilderness. Make a straight, smooth road through the desert for our God.
Fill the valleys and level the hills. Straighten out the curves and smooth off the rough spots.
Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all people will see it together. The LORD has spoken!"


Several years ago my own revelation came through these verses. Isn't it saying make it as easy as possible for people to see God? If someone is approaching on a road that goes up and down hills and around curves you can't see them coming. We are told to re-engineer the road. Smooth the hills, straighten the curve. Why? So we and others can easily see his coming.

With so much talk about what is right and wrong, what is acceptable and not acceptable (ok, I'll say it...specifically the GLBT issue) does this apply? How do we make the road smooth and straight for those marginalized in the world? Are we making it easier for them to see Jesus. Are all our shoulds becoming bigger hills and more severe curves? Can they see Jesus as he is approaching? If we can all see him coming, we will all run to him. Then he can do with us as he will with his grace and his mercy. I'm more concerned about the glory of the Lord being revealed and people seeing it.

6 comments:

Kim Becker said...

This is very interesting. I have thought much about how God prepares my paths, making them straight, being a lamp unto my feet, etc., but I have not thought a lot about how I can prepare a path for Him. I thought about it, and I have sung songs about preparing a way for Him, but I never really thought about it in this way. It makes complete sense. Thank you for sharing this and causing me to think.
This has also brought up questions I have regarding John the Baptist and Christ and the dynamics of their lives and relationship to each other. I can't wait to study the Bible more in seminary. There is so much I do not know that I am curious about. I'm sure I won't learn it all there, but I will learn a lot.

catd said...

Does this mean you are really doing seminary?

Kim Becker said...

That's the plan. :)

amy said...

What's the world coming to with all these women getting educated? Watch out!

hsmypsn said...

i remember very well your talk on this very passage when you were at tfh. it made perfect sense to me then and became one of my own verses. It's very cool you still have it so close to your heart for others.
on another note. mary is so cute being pregnant! she's soooo positive. that child will be so very blessed.

hsmypsn said...

oh, yes. and amy.... i'm not getting more edumacated than i am now. i'm so done. i do hope all you brilliant women will share your wealth of knowledge with others. i am a great listener!