Wednesday, August 18, 2010

SOLITUDE



I realized this morning that I have always believed that upon waking I am empty, ready for a new day.  Now I know otherwise.  Sleep is an escape from the nudging of "I have things to get done".  My mind becomes immediately full of what needs to be done today (at least my ego believes there are things that NEED to get done), the things that weren't accomplished yesterday and even borrowing from the list for next week. 

It is only by taking time for solitude that I become empty and ready for the day.  This list of "to dos" gets moved over to the next column.  Yes, I will work on completing those items on the list but the real living is being done while doing them.

Who will I encounter as I do each thing?  Will I be available and accessible to them?  Will I act with love toward them?  What will I discover about myself as I enter each task?

These are the things that matter.  These are the things that make living a grace.  Yes, it's nice to put a check mark by each chore but I want life to be a gift to me and to others.

When I come to solitude I can empty myself, become hollow and actually useful.  I look at the day ahead with true wonder and expectancy. 

Oh, I just had a thought.  Maybe I can take moments of solitude throughout the day to again be emptied and readied.  It wouldn't have to be long...just a moment or two to remember it is about those I have been given to love that day.

How I wish I could live in the peacefulness of this moment each hour of the day.

No comments: