Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pain and Life

My heart seems to continually be in pain lately.  I am repeatedly astounded at the cruelty humankind displays.  We seem like a weapon aimed at hurting.  How can we, created with the express purpose to love, find dominance and revenge and judgement such a huge part of living?

A friend recently posted a video on FB about Oogle, a dog rescued from being a "bait" dog for dog fighters.  The news article about the Muslim taxi driver who was stabbed when he answered the question about being Muslim.

Even as I type these stories my heart feels like it is getting bloated with the pain.  I keep finding myself saying, "I'm sorry.  I'm sorry.  I'm sorry."  Oh God, I am sorry that we have come to this. Yes, I know there is much good and beauty in the world.  But, that cannot be an excuse for the awful and ugly in the world.

I feel like the whole earth needs to take a very deep breath and learn to be still and present.  Can we stop this?  I don't know.  What I can do is watch how I walk today.   Watch my words, watch my thoughts, watch my actions.  And perhaps there is one more thing.....gently and without judgement perhaps speak to hurtful situations I come across. 

It's kind of like we need a slap to the face for a reality check.  Remember those old movies where the guy slaps the woman to try to get her to see what is really happening?  (Of course I think those kinds of visuals in movies is a contributing factor to the way some men treat women.)  But the point is "we need to get a grip". 

God is not going to magically change the world.  That is what we are here for.  We must, I must personally take responsibility to end cruelty, prejudice, pain, suffering.  I just hope that today I can "act justly, love mercy and walk humbly before my God".

(Thanks, Denise, for bringing this passage before me.)

1 comment:

Denise said...

Thanks for the wake up call. It is so easy to become paralyzed by passivity because we/I feel overwhelmed. Yet, I can take little steps daily in making a difference.