Tuesday, December 1, 2009



I think for the first time in my life I get Advent. Being raised Protestant I actually knew nothing about it (probably not even that there was Advent) until mid-life. And then it was that there was this thing called Advent that Catholics did.
Several years ago I became more aware of it but I still didn't get it. Why would you not sing Christmas carols? Why would you act like Jesus hadn't come when he had?

But this season there is something stirring inside me. I don't know if it is a mental adjustment or a true spiritual awareness. I can feel the anticipation. In my depths I am longing for his coming. I don't mean the "2nd" coming. I mean a coming into my life, my world, my friends, my heart. It is hard to articulate. I have this expectation that he will be brand new to me. That for me he will be born again into my reality.

Wouldn't it be amazing if this happened every year at this time? How exciting that my knowledge and experience of him be new every year. What joy might come of this waiting? As I write this, right here, right now I find myself on the verge of tears. It is as though one I love has been away. It is as though I have received a letter from him that he will be returning in just 4 more weeks.

I can't wait!

The Advent reading for next Sunday is already at work in me:
"as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah, "The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.'"

My valleys are being filled, my mountains are being made low, the crooked is being made straight and the roughness is being smoothed.

I'm sorry but this is WAY COOL!

Blessings to you during this Advent season.

1 comment:

Kim Becker said...

I am so excited to be celebrating advent again. The MB church does do some special things for advent. The seminary put out advent readings also. We are sitting down with our kids every night and spending a few minutes to look forward to His coming together. Really cool.
Here's a link to the seminary's advent readings if you're interested:
http://www.mbseminary.edu/news/2009-11-15