Tuesday, September 8, 2009

WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING?

I just got back from a walk. My intention for my walk was two-fold. First I wanted to just observe the creator through the creation (thanks Susan). I also wanted to stop in at Holy Rosary Church a few blocks from our house.
It was much brighter than most of the Catholic churches I have been in lately; probably because it is newer. I first lit a candle and prayed for our house. Maybe I keep hoping God will get tired of hearing it and do something!
As I went on to explore a bit I entered the chapel area. Really nice niche. More candles, icons, statues. I discovered that in the 3 rows of pews there are all kinds of books on prayer, meditation and other subjects to encourage you in spending time. I also had my ipod. Hope they didn't consider that sacrilegious but I wanted to listen to some of the wonderful, intimate music that came from renewal as I walked and sat.
I found my heart being pulled. I folded down the kneeler and took my place. As I closed my eyes I had such a strong longing for someone to come and place their hand on my head or my shoulder. I actually had the thought that if they did I would grab their hand just to keep it there. Then I realized. It has been 5 years since I have felt the care of a shepherd. Even when we were the shepherds I knew there were others there who watched over my soul and encouraged my spirit. I didn't realize until today how much I miss that and have needed it. To have someone actually "keep watch over my soul" is such a gift.
It was nice to sit in that place and just be completely lost in God.
Those of you who read my blog regularly know I put a lot of effort in finding a picture to speak to my written message. The above was the best I could do. How do you image someone caring for you at that level?
And, I found another book to order. (Will it ever end?)
I hope anyone who reads this has someone who cares for their soul and spirit. You are indeed blessed.

1 comment:

Susan Gaddis said...

Great post. We each do need a shepherd. Often more then we realize. Not only is it a place of humility, but a place of rest. Thank you for the reminder.