Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Justice and The Hallelujah


This was one of those mornings....in a mysteriously spiritual way. The last couple of weeks I have been spending time contemplating justice. What is it? How does it work? If one person receives justice, most likely another will not.
Sunday I was reminded of the many OT verses about justice. I spent time this morning reading them slowly and meditating on them. I got no where. Well, in the sense that I still didn't know what it is but I do know it is important to God. I decided I would try in my feeble and not very good way to draw it. You don't need to see my picture. You would probably laugh. But when I was done with this hugely simplistic drawing I found my self writing, "Justice is freedom to receive the mercy of God". I felt that was at least a start.
I decided to check my email as I was drinking my orange juice. Last night Brad sent me a link to a youtube music video. I opened it just a few minutes ago. K.D. Lang was singing Leonard Cohen's "The Hallelujah". I must say this song always touches my soul. I never quite understood what it all meant but I love the spirit of it.
As I watched K.D. sing it I was enlightened. This blog isn't about the meaning of the song. It is what happened inside me. I have always had this small (maybe not so small) aversion to K.D. As I saw her sing this my judgement of her melted away. It was like in singing it she was completely displaying her heart; the hurts, the short comings, the judgements that had been spoken against her. Now I am not saying she would agree with this. But, this is how the spirit used it for me. I began to weep. I released any judgement I had held of her. I embraced who she is. "Justice is freedom to receive the mercy of God".
K.D. became for me this morning a metaphor for justice. I feel cleansed. Once more God has been kind in opening my heart and my eyes to more of Her bigness and Her mystery.
Please, take time to watch this video:

2 comments:

mark said...

Thanks, Cathy, for posting this. A beautiful song sung beautifully. I enjoyed the humility displayed at the end to an overwhelming ovation.

catd said...

Mark, I'm glad you took the time to watch. There was something big happening in KD in this performance. I wonder if she, herself, was overwhelmed by it. Nice to hear from you.