Monday, March 9, 2009

Child Woundedness

So, here's my musing for today.
I have loved getting connected via FB. It has brought many, many people back into my life. There is something restorative about renewing these relationships (cyber though they be). As a reflection of what I have been reading this morning, this is where I have come. Woundedness, given and received, seems to come from the child within us. Our "little-oneness" is easily hurt and that same one can easily hurt, sometimes in an effort to self-protect. In reconnecting with people from my past it is as though I (and I think some of them by their own admission) have been able to recognize the child that was. I can now dismiss the past as acts of a child.
Now, the truth is, I will always have that "little-oneness" as a part of me. My hope is I can recognize it quicker and give it a good talking to before it acts. But, it won't always work. It is part of me and I think part of you.
Somewhere inside me these songs of forgiveness and/or re-established love come bubbling up. I love it. I feel fresh. I feel clean. I feel renewed.
What do you think? Am I way off here? Is this just me (which I'm ok with)?

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

I have come back to this entry many times today. Probably because it really, really speaks to me. I have also loved all that FB has brought into my life. And some of it I have struggled with. There has been lots of forgiveness given and received and hopefully more to come. It's been quite a journey.

catd said...

I'm glad you can relate. I actually had one person ask me to be their friend that I had to sit here for a few minute before accepting. Interesting. You know as believers we have been told to ask forgiveness by going to a person and telling them how they had hurt us which many times just made things worse. I appreciate these moments on FB because it really provides a way of letting it go....it's just not important anymore, ya know?

amy said...

Forgiveness, in my understanding, has to do with accepting what is, who I am, and who others are. Unforgiveness is basically unacceptance.

The more I accept and forgive myself, the less I need to hold unforgiveness toward others. I can identify with the internal pain of others instead of needing to defend myself from their pain. I agree, Cathy, what freedom!

I should add that the Lord has chosen to do this work with me in the context of psychotherapy. I had/have the kinds of wounds that require the skill and gifting of a specialized healer, and the process of learning to forgive has been like healing from a massive burn, not like getting a massage for sore muscles. Despite the pain of recovery, I am so grateful to God for all of this, but I certainly don't want to imply that it's simple or easy.

anonymous1 said...

I am getting reconnected on my high school reunion site. I missed my reunion so an old friend called and asked why I did not go. I said because I didn't know. So my old friend turned me on to our web site with my high school graduating class.
Since I have joined this web site I have been refreshed. I did not know people really care to see, and hear from me. I have received pictures, emails, and not just from my old friends but also from those whom I thought never knew I existed. It has shown me that even when we don't know it, others are watching, and that watching impacts them. Its been very cool.