Tuesday, February 9, 2010

AND NOW WHAT




This is Saint Brigid of Kildare. My vows to be an Oblate of St. Benedict has connected me to the Monastery of St. Brigid in Minnesota. I took my final vows last Monday. This last week I have been asking myself, "So now, what?"

Since there is no Benedictine community nearby I know my oblation will be mostly one alone. I hope to visit a community once in a while. The closest is about 3 1/2 hours away. Maybe I'll go to the St. Brigid's retreat this summer. I don't know.

I do sense that this step has had a deep, lasting affect on my being. Saying my prayers from the breviary each day; knowing many around the world are joining me. It has been a great source of centering each morning. Continuing to read the Rule and commentaries on the Rule are what I think are really tranforming. It truly is a way of being spiritual. Today was the last day of the 12 steps of humility. Yes, 12. As I read these I am lead to pray that I would live my life by Benedict's Rule.

The week before I took my vow I was required to think about why this way is one I would choose. I realized how much of who I am and my own journey is Benedictine. The heart of it all is that my spirituality is walked out, lived out in everydayness. And it is a life of hospitality. More and more I want to be a person who welcomes all to my table. My table might be one at Echo Cafe (since I don't have my own space right now), but I can make it my table to welcome those I meet there.

I'm not sure where this path will take me. Will it be one that is wide and just around the lip of a canyon? Or will it eventually be one that becomes narrower and narrower and takes me to the depths?

I guess the journey and adventure never end.

1 comment:

Jane G Meyer said...

You are at a beautiful moment, aren't you? May the prayers of Saint Brigid be with you... May you follow Christ with the same fervor she had!

I found your blog when I was doing a search on Saint Brigid. I've written a children's book on her--love her, and seek to shine with the light of Christ as she did... Her light was so very bright--mine is a bit mundane and often very dim, but I seek to shine all the same.

May you be blessed on your new road. I'll be checking back from time to time :)