Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Epiphany



I'm cheating a little bit in my Breviary reading this week. I decided to take the daily prayers for the coming Sunday, Epiphany, and read one office a day. The first vesper's litany really got me. I think it will be my New Year's Resolution in the form of a prayer. I will be reading this prayer throughout the year.

Jesus, though born a child you reign as king. You have revealed in the flesh the marvelous love and power of our God. Accept our gifts and listen as we pray:
Jesus, grant us your salvation

God of the nations, you called the Magi as the first of the Gentiles to kneel before you; help us to honor you with praise and thanksgiving.

God of glory, you judge the peoples with justice, free the oppressed and break the power of the wicked.

God of peace, you shatter the weapons of war; give us peace til the moon fails.

God of Justice, you long to save the poor and the helpless; have pity on the lowly and sunder the chains of human slavery.

Eternal God, you are faithful from age to age; forever send your word into our hearts like snow on winter stubble.

Amen.

No comments: