Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today's Litany


As part of my oblate journey I read daily from the Benedictine Daily Prayer. I must admit that one of the most meaningful parts of this reading is the litany. To realize there are people all over the world praying the same prayer is just powerful. It really does connect the body of Christ. Here is today's; I could make it my prayer every day:


(After each phrase pray "Lord, keep us in your love)


Nurture all people waiting for Christ with the prayer and love of Christian community-


Keep all leaders from the deception of self-righteousness and guide them in the ways of humility-


Take our preoccupation with wealth and comfort and transform it by the light of the gospel-


Free us from selfishness and strengthen us for the work of loving one another-


Alert us to the peace we can impart to others out of the full store of your blessings.



4 comments:

anonymous1 said...

Way too robotic for me.

catd said...

So, anonymous, you may never see this but what did you pray today? How did you pray for other's and their relationship in community? Did you pray for Christian leaders? Did you prayer for our own selfishness and preoccupation with wealth?
The point of this kind of prayer is it brings ways and things to pray to our attention. It is not the only way to pray. It is one of the many. Also, we have all been involved in some kind of prayer chain, prayer alert, prayer notice so that many will agree in prayer for something specific.
Doesn't this do the same thing except at a much bigger magnitude?
Just asking questions.

anonymous1 said...

Today i prayed for my wife, and that i would be a better husband today than I was yesterday. I prayed for my kids that God would keep them safe and draw them closer. I prayed for wisdom and help in a business decision today. Health for my dad, and wisdom and insight for friends in a book study we are involved in. I asked God how He was doing today, and reminded Him I need more of the Holy Spirit and His leading. I asked God to help my friend who is having marriage troubles, and faith issues, and a relative who is depressed. I asked him to protect the troops while our president drags his feet on sending them help.
"For me" I have to keep it simple, and when I talk to God, its more like a 5 yr old talking to his daddy...and if my kids sat on my lap and asked for the prayer you have here, I would wonder what they were smoking.
Im not saying its not a beautiful prayer, wonderfully stated, eloquent, and appropriate. Its just not how I pray at this stage of my life, but then again I have a long way to go in my spirituality which is why I am going to ask God what He wants me to learn from this post, and how it can help me, but that prayer comes after I write this. Peace....

catd said...

Great response and great prayer. Thanks for the feedback.