Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Monk in the World


Wayne Teasdale has written a book, A Monk in the World. Many of us can understand when he writes: "What has nourished my mystical life are numerous and intense unitive experiences at the Divine's initiative. In these encounters, mysteriously offered to me unexpected and undeserved, the Divine Lover has invaded me, completely affecting every aspect of my being - my mind, will, memory, imagination, unconscious, body, sexuality, and emotions. Overwhelmed by God's invading Presence, I am saturated by the Divine's energies, its subtle actions within me, its intense but measured power. When immersed in union with God, ravished by the Divine's self-giving Presence, overcome in its inpouring love, and elevated into its vast mystery, I am unable to analyze, imagine, remember, or visualize. I can only be receptive, saying yes to God's extraordinary gift. Becoming more actively present to God, I can offer myself in the communion of love to this mysterious God, who remains always the Deus absonditus, the hidden God." pg 39

No comments: