Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Think About This


As a Protestant I have never quite gotten the "Mary" thing. I don't mean that to sound disrespectful. It's how I was raised (by the church not my parents). Last November God spoke to me very clearly through the passages about the angel coming to Mary and Joseph. It really was a significant revelation to me personally.

But today doing some reading in "Holy People" (see previous post) I had this new image of the symbol of Mary. Suppose she is not only the mother of God but a symbol of ourselves taking in the Holy Spirit and bringing forth Christ to the world. We are continually conceiving Christ, pondering and holding what lies within us and then giving birth to the transformation and showing it to the world.

I like that image.

3 comments:

Kim Becker said...

Hmm... That's very interesting. I will continue to ponder this. Thanks.
I also see Mary as the earthly embodiment of the mother heart of God, a physical representation of how God loves his own son, Jesus, and an image we can relate to. Just look at the picture you posted and see how she looks at her son. (It could be any mother looking at her child.) This is the woman God specifically picked to birth his son. How amazing is that? Not that she is any better than other women (not to offend those who elevate her above all others), but that she is the incarnate representation of how God loves us as well as, and as much as his own son.
(Sorry if I'm not articulate enough right now to make complete sense. I'm tired.)

catd said...

It sounds good to me. We have so limited our thinking regarding maybe every aspect of Christ. We have accepted that there is only one way to look at each theological point. Christ is so much more than each one of those. I am coming to love the name Mysterious One for him. Everything else is near sighted. Hey, I have an art project for you some time. I just want it for me right now. Let me know if someday you want to take it on. I think it will be quite simple, I just can't draw figures well. Good to hear from you.

Kim Becker said...

OK. Let's take a figure drawing class at City College in the Fall. I've been wanting to do that.