Friday, November 28, 2008

People


Seattle has been a bit of a desert as far as friends and relationships go. (It's a good thing Brad and I like each other.) The last few days as I've been emailing old friends I've become aware of something. The importance of being with people has grown for me. The simplicity of sitting down for coffee or tea with someone; having a meal with friends; being on the same spiritual track with others. I'm so hungry for those things. Meeting with friends with no other motive than to just be together and know each other more is a luxury we take for granted.

This is short and simple today. Not a big theological thought: or is it?

2 comments:

Kim Becker said...

I think God has taken several people through a season of aloneness. Maybe He wanted some more attention. I don't know. But a good number of the people I have been able to count on for spiritual support and just friendly one-on-one input have been taken out of the picture in one way or another through the last several years, starting with you and Brad leaving. (Not blaming you at all here. Don't read it like that.) I think it is just something God orchestrated for whatever reason, for me, for you, for the others.
I am not claiming to be in the same boat as you since I still have several people I can depend on if I am in need (a lot of church contacts I can count on), but the people I have been inspired by, who have been like mentors or who I feel have fed my soul have not been there, leaving me to have to stand on my own two feet and walk my own walk by myself. I think God has used this time to strengthen me and show me new ways of thinking though. I don't see this desert as punishment. But it has been rough.

hsmypsn said...

you, know.. after reading both yours and kim's comments on this friendship thing, i have gone through similiar relational shiftings these past few years. after this season has past, i am graciously and slowly finding who the true friends who will truly be by my side in all areas. i have also found myself reacing out more than ever to fulfill the saying, "if you want a friend, be afriend..." i have found great satisfaction.